Counting in South Efate
Enter a number and get it written in full in South Efate.
The South Efate language (Fate, Erakor) is a Southern Oceanic language of the Malayo-Polynesian language family. Spoken on the island of Efate, in central Vanuatu, it counts about 6,000 speakers.
Due to lack of data, we can only count accurately up to 999 in South Efate. Please contact us if you can help us counting up from that limit.
South Efate numbering rules
- Digits from one to nine are specific words: i-skei , i-nru , i-tul , i-fat , i-lim , i-ɪa-tes , i-ɪa-ru , i-ɪa-tul , and i-ɪ-fot .
- Tens are formed by setting the multiplier unit after the word for ten (ralim, from ra, two, and lim, five, or two times five): ralim i-skei (or only ralim) , ralim i-nru , ralim i-tul , ralim i-fat , ralim i-lim , ralim i-ɪa-tes , ralim i-ɪa-ru , ralim i-ɪa-tul , and ralim i-ɪ-fot .
- Compound numbers are formed by linking the ten and the unit digit with the word atmat (plus), separated with spaces (e.g.: ralim i-skei atmat i-skei , ralim i-ɪa-tes atmat i-ɪa-tul ).
- Hundreds are formed by setting the multiplier unit after the word for hundred (tifli): tifli i-skei , tifli i-nru , tifli i-tul , tifli i-fat , tifli i-lim , tifli i-ɪa-tes , tifli i-ɪa-ru , tifli i-ɪa-tul , and tifli i-ɪ-fot .
- Compound hundreds are formed by stating the hundred, then the ten and the unit (e.g.: tifli i-fat ralim i-nru atmat i-tul , tifli i-ɪim ralim i-ɪa-tes atmat i-nru ).
A Grammar of South Efate: An Oceanic Language of Vanuatu
by Nicholas Thieberger, editors University of Hawaii Press (2006)
- 1 – i-skei
- 2 – i-nru
- 3 – i-tul
- 4 – i-fat
- 5 – i-lim
- 6 – i-ɪa-tes
- 7 – i-ɪa-ru
- 8 – i-ɪa-tul
- 9 – i-ɪ-fot
- 10 – ralim i-skei
- 11 – ralim i-skei atmat i-skei
- 12 – ralim i-skei atmat i-nru
- 13 – ralim i-skei atmat i-tul
- 14 – ralim i-skei atmat i-fat
- 15 – ralim i-skei atmat i-lim
- 16 – ralim i-skei atmat i-ɪa-tes
- 17 – ralim i-skei atmat i-ɪa-ru
- 18 – ralim i-skei atmat i-ɪa-tul
- 19 – ralim i-skei atmat i-ɪ-fot
- 20 – ralim i-nru
- 30 – ralim i-tul
- 40 – ralim i-fat
- 50 – ralim i-lim
- 60 – ralim i-ɪa-tes
- 70 – ralim i-ɪa-ru
- 80 – ralim i-ɪa-tul
- 90 – ralim i-ɪ-fot
- 100 – tifli i-skei
- Voyage à travers des îles et des nombres, Christian Soulard (.pdf, in French)
Central Malayo-Polynesian languages
Other supported languages
Supported languages by families
As the other currently supported languages are too numerous to list extensively here, please select a language from the following select box, or from the full list of supported languages.