Frequently Asked Questions
- Some characters are wrongly displayed as little rectangles
- Where do you get your audio recordings?
- Some acknowledgements?
Some characters are wrongly displayed as little rectangles
This site pages encoding uses Unicode (utf-8). Your browser may not be set to use this encoding.
Very likely, the font used is not yet installed on your computer. You need to install it from one of the sites listed in the links of the “How to count in…” page for the given language.
- To install a new font on Windows, upload the TrueType font file (with the .ttf extension) in the directory C:\WINDOWS\Fonts (Windows XP/95/98/Me) or C:\WinNT\Fonts (Windows NT/2000).
- To install a new font under Mac OS 9, upload the binary font file (with the .bin extension) in the System folder.
- To install a new font under Mac OS X, upload the binary font file (with the .bin extension) in the folder /Library/Fonts (for all users) or into /Users/Your_username/Library/Fonts (for you only).
Where do you get your audio recordings?
By clicking on the numbers name in the numbers lists of each language (where available), you will hear how the number is actually pronounced by a native speaker. The records used there come from different sources.
- The Shtooka project’s main goal is to create open source audio collections of words recorded by native speakers. You too can contribute to that collective effort.
- The Forvo website is a pronunciation guide collection, where you will find millions of words pronounced in their original languages. You can be part of it too.
- Wikimedia provides some records too, and you can help them by recording your own voice.
- Some recordings have been provided by other sources, in which case an authorization has been granted to use them on this site only, and the source is specified.
- And last but not least, we also provide (a few) recordings of our own.
The recordings rights go from Creative Commons to Public Domain, via limited use authorization. For any inquiry regarding a specific recording or recordings collection, please use the contact form.
When you enter in contact with us through the contact form or directly by writing to email@example.com, your email address is not and will not be used for any commercial purpose like for instance mailing list, advertising, sale to a third party…
Advertising from Google AdSense
- Google’s use of the DART cookie enables it to serve ads to this site’s users based on their visit to this site and other sites on the Internet.
We would like to thank here the UniLang community for the replies of its members to our many questions, as well as all the people who contact us with corrections and suggestions.
If you have made a contribution but are not listed here, if you would like your name altered or removed, or if you would like a link to your website, please contact us. Many thanks to you all!
Contributors: Clifford Abbott, André Bisseret, Francisco Cascales Rueda, Cornelius Heinrichs, Sharl Henning, Geraint Jennings, Aleksandar Katic, George Muresan, Sosthène Nziengui, Sebastian Wolff…